Bismillah,
Assalatu wassalam ala rasulillah
It’s been long since I last updated, yeah I know
Probably not many will read this also, but nonetheless, I really feel that I want to share something.
The 9th of Dec was a full-day for me, in the daytime I went to Ubin to cycle with the Apex mentors. Yeah we had fun and all, went to the mountain bike trail which was quite scary. All in all, we had fun enjoying together.
In the evening, I actually rushed home earlier that most of the guys because I had to attend a course on Islamic Worldview at 8 pm. I must say that the course really was an eye-opener, even though it was only the first session.
I am not qualified in anyway to be talking about Tasawwur, if you want to know more, you must hear from the knowledgeable, this is basic adab. That does not go to say that I have adab, but I am endowed with choice and the choice I want to make is to want to have adab.
Tasawwur, this whole idea about the Islamic Worldview really shook my core… it teaches us to see things from an Islamic Prespective, the need being more dire given that many of us muslims are HEAVILY influenced by western ideals. We must recognize that there are fundamental differences between the worldviews, and needless to say, MERE RECOGNITION IS NOT ENOUGH.
We tend to say things like “of course I see things from the Islamic Perspective! I Am a Muslim!”
Well, good that if the first part is true, but more common is that when we examine just a little deeper, oh what a far cry…
There are many examples to illustrate the point.
When the West talks about advancements in society, progress in Industrialization and revolutions and renaissance… we ask ourselves when was the Golden Age of Islam?
The timeframe that comes to mind is of the numerous great innovations and discoveries pioneered by brilliant muslim thinkers and scientist, about Baghdad as centre of knowledge and Andalusian Science etc.
But what about the Hadith ‘ Khairul Qurun Qarni’ … the best of Times is my time, referring to Zaman Rasul s.a.w.
Subhanallah, we know this at the back of our minds, insyaAllah we do, but we cannot say it out the first thing in mind when asked that question… question is why? The answer is that we are too caught up with what others define as progress/success for us. This does not go to say that we should not aim for excellence in the sciences, we ought to, but that in itself cannot mean success for us Muslims…
Imagine, we say we love Nabi s.a.w., and we know that everything associated or close to Nabi is ‘sacred’ by virtue of his barakah…think about the Prophetic Sandals…Time itself, when it is close to Nabi, is Sacred!
Bukankah ini satu tempeleng?
There are other issues of course, for example, how some MEASURE THE SUCCESS of a community by considering how many working mothers are there….but is this true success of a community? What about the real costs? Disgruntled families, delinquencies all traced to lack of proper parental care etc…then think about the Islamic concept of children as being God’s Trust unto parents…subhanallah!
One issue I find easy for us to relate is how some people thank God and attribute success to Him even when they are in an area that deals with mungkar…beauty pageants, singing competitions etc…upon winning, they make the classical speech thanking God for His Bounty and His granting ‘success’ to them… Then others will argue “at least they are thankful!”
How? I mean, I am aware of many people who sense something wrong with such concepts and goes on to explain that it is not right. But Tasawwur, leads one from a level of feeling something fishy to a CLEAR AND FIRM stand on such matters! How one approaches such people, either harshly or gently with wisdom is an entirely different issue, but the bottomline is there needs to be a FIRM view on such things!
I brought up a question: I was reminded of an article, distributed months back, or even years back, by Sidi Faiz when he came to Maqam Habib Nuh for Zikr. The article was about the four levels of sin.
The First, the lightest and presumably easiest to be forgiven, is the kind of sin that one has regret for.
The Second, is the sin that one does not feel anything for, no regrets, no nothing, purely neutral, like as though the sin is everyday commonpractice.
The Third, is the sin that one is proud of
The Fourth, is to sin and then COMDEMN ISLAM for being BACKWARD etc when it forbids that sin.
At first I thought, the article made perfect sense, was quite logical and easy to follow, basically, there is this idea of progression from bad to worse in committing a particular sin.
Given this framework, I asked myself where does the attitude of ‘Syukur’ for a munkar stand????!!!!
Suddenly the gravity of it all becomes so severe! From mere feeling, hey I think there is something wrong with saying Alhamdulillah for a munkar that is done to IT IS VERY BAD AND SERIOUS!
No matter how much we want to pacify others or make them feel good, we cannot help but to know that it is at least at the THIRD LEVEL….subhanallah, maybe they didn’t know…but now that we know…
Subhanallah, I do not want to make assumptions or judge, but I know such things will surely kena condemn by Sidi…needless to say…
One more thing: from my entire listening to Sidi Faiz, I have never heard of the term Tasawwur Islam from him…but I heard many ideas that are conveyed in Tasawwur from him…
For example : Lahir Islam, Mati Islam, Hidup Islam, al islam ya'luu wa laa yu'la alaih, udkhulu fis silmi KAAFFAAH
So I made it a point to clearly clarify one concern I had in mind: is it possible for a person to have solid Islamic Worldview even though he may not be using the terms and jargons related to Tasawwur Islam as a learning subject?
THE ANSWER: YES! HIGHLY POSSIBLE! THOSE TRADITIONAL ULAMA HAVE ALL THE WAY BEEN SEEING THINGS FROM THE ISLAMIC PERSPECTIVE! Only now it is made organised into a proper subject to clarify a lot of confusion amongst us who are so taken in by foreign ideas.
Khalas, settle, I have no doubts or queries about the dire need for Tasawwur anymore.
Another point worth mentioning:
To see things from the Islamic Perspective means to see things from the eye of the heart, ainul Qalb, and this alone, I feel brings in all the other basic sciences of Islam, such as iman, islam, ihsan…everything, aqidah, tasawwuf, fiqh…all…
Afterall, as muslims, we want to be seeing things from the Islamic Perspective…
It is because of islamic Worldview that we have, whether consciously or subconsciously, that we are able to say things like:
Books on Islam written by muslims are preferred over those written by non-muslims, a VERY TRADITIONAL KIND OF STAND IN ISLAM
It is wrong to chase after material gains under the pretext that Islam is ‘progressive’; as such, if I drive lexus this year, next year must ‘upgrade’ to mercedes…Islam is Progessive mah…all these at the expense of fundamental obligations like solat, seeking ‘ilm etc…
May Allah guide us all, amin
I have no ilmu, I only copy and paste.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment