There is no God save Allah, Muhammad is the Messenger of God, in every blink of the eye and in every breath, to the number that only God's knowledge can comprehend. www.ahmadiah-idrisiah.com

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Seek Knowledge and Humility. I have neither

Alas, I had a meaningful conversation with one of my friends in camp; we mostly dwelled into the topic about elitism in some schools. This friend of mine is a Chi-Mat, a codename for something that I am not going to disclose. He is from a very respectable family of all doctors, and was brought up in probably the best school here.

Despite all the preconceptions that many people may have about that school, this friend of mine, you might say, is quite different in the sense that he does not have that elitist touch so commonly associated with people from the school up there.

Now, as muslims, we all understand that to generalize is not correct. Of course this is not what I intend to do here, I just want to highlight a prominent perhaps significant attitude that can be seen in many from that background, and my purpose of doing so is not to condemn or criticize; just for us to contemplate and emulate the right actions and behavior. After all, it is difficult and rare to find an apple that is entirely rotten.

It can all be traced back to the post O levels period, when students begin to apply to their junior college and/or polytechnic of choice. I was under pressure from everywhere, including people who barely know me and those who normally wouldn’t care what I do. Somehow, my choice was virtually restricted to just 2 schools. I chose to reject one, without even hesitating, because I have heard a lot about the sort of elitism that is very prominent there. At this stage, everyone may ask, how is it that I make my decision based on matters intangible such as people’s perception on something? I thought so too. But then again, of course I wouldn’t have first hand experience to be saying such things in the first place, since I’ve never been to that school.

That was it, the few days back when I was talking to this friend, that I got insights into the culture and environment in that school. Again, we must not generalize; wherever you go, there’s bound to have nice people around.

What he described was more vivid than whatever ideas I may have had about the school prior to speaking with him.

Remember about environment and nurture in upbringing; That the Prophet s.a.w. said that environment will influence and shape you.

To begin, I am a Muslim who is a Malay. This alone may raise several issues on its own, like how my friend commented about the reaction of his peers, even teachers, to this fact.

Not that I care much about races, but probably I would feel uneasy being the extreme minority in an elitist environment. Even the Malays there, my friend had asked, said that they were not proud to be Malay.

His mother also said the the Malays up there will ‘kill’ the Malays below.



I am not saying anyone needs to be proud to be Malay. This whole thing about race is not our decree, it is God’s decree. Our Beloved Prophet s.a.w emphasized this message in his moving Final Sermon: That no Arab is superior to a non-Arab and no Non-Arab is superior to an Arab, except by Taqwa. It is always the choices that we make and what we do that is accountable in the Presence of God.

That aside, the politics amongst students there can be quite a shock. And this problem primarily stem from what I would say an unhealthy competition towards achieving greatness in academia. Everyone desires to be the top, the best, the smartest, the most elite. While that in itself is good, because seeking knowledge is commendable in Islam, but when the competition involves the selfish ego, everything becomes appalling. This is perhaps where we as Muslims should take heed. Even as we compete with one another in goodness and in seeking knowledge, I can only guess that it is to be done without negative influences from the ego; lest the very object that we seek would lose all meaning. Easier said than done, I know. Congratulations to me who has defined myself the hypocrite.

At least in our minds, in our heads, in our rational thinking, even if it is not in our hearts yet, we know that such competitions are not good.

Examples of this that he brought up include lying to friends out of not wanting to share insights on future papers etc. Constantly denying studying, in the hopes that others do not study as well, whereas he/she mugs at home in order to ace papers. And many more. Of course such things happen everywhere. Again, let me remind myself, this is an exposure of what is not right, period. Nothing personal whatsoever.

That aside, the kind of school life they lead can be very shocking. Studying more than 14 hours out of 24 in a day?! I don’t think I ever have the stamina to do that. At this juncture, we must note that our scholars of old such as Imam Nawawi invested a lot of time into studying, seeking knowledge. They probably study even longer hours! But the one prominent difference between scholars like Imam Nawawi and those students who study like no tomorrow is that Imam Nawawi is sincere in his seeking of knowledge, for the sake of God, whereas from what that is external, those students study like crazy because of grades, prestige, wanting to be greater than the rest etc, wanting social standing etc. Again, let me remind myself, this is an exposure of what is not right, period. We should all strive to achieve what the purification of hearts would require us to do. Easier said than done, I know. Congratulations to me who has defined myself the hypocrite.

I am trying my best to be as objective as possible; know what is right, know what is wrong, do what is right, avoid what is wrong.

I can only ask, where then would one put the seeking of religious knowledge, if already more than 14 hours is spent per day preparing for a paper exam? I wouldn’t like such a lifestyle, for one it is very taxing, the other is that it is imbalanced.

I have always had this idea that part and parcel of you declaring yourself a Muslim in today’s age means that you are obliged to know knowledge of both worlds, the secular and the religious. In fact, in Islam there isn’t such a separation; if a particular piece of knowledge is the truth, then it is the truth and all truth comes from God and leads to God. Absolutist it may sound, but isn’t it true? The Truth?

And then life in army. It only firms my suspicion that many of those who are elitists will go all out in ns just to again, be the elite. I don’t see how they can have that ‘die-die must commission’ idea. Perhaps my heart is sick and that I am a sore-loser. But thank God I’ve never placed much importance in this. How could you not feel something amiss when the selection opens up more space to accommodate more of the similar minded people to the extent that you are going to have a platoon-cum-class-cum-school photoshoot? My friend also felt left out and secluded when they just bonded with their own cliques.
What I have said, I do not in anyway mean to offend anybody who may have gone through the same environment. I just want to learn how to experience people and what to emulate and what to eliminate.

Always be humble. For the one who has a grain’s weight of arrogance in his heart will not enter paradise.

Last Monday Hadith Lesson by Ust Hasbi:
The Prophet s.a.w. walked pass a group of Companions who were repairing houses. There upon he s.a.w. asked “what is this (repairing)? It may be that death will come to you first even before you finish repairing this house.”

Of course this by no means serves as a discouragement to achieve goodness in this world.

Something for us to ponder upon. I was told that the course I am going to take will have many people from up there. God guide us and help us always! Amin!

i am hesitant about posting this, but i've typed.

No more does this come in useful in any post of mine other than this post;
Whatever that is good comes from God; Falsehood and inequities from my own weaknesses and shortcomings.

i seek all your pardon.
Astaghfirullah, innallaha kaana tawwabaa

No comments: