There is no God save Allah, Muhammad is the Messenger of God, in every blink of the eye and in every breath, to the number that only God's knowledge can comprehend. www.ahmadiah-idrisiah.com

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Prison Break Ends!

I really do not know how to describe my feelings as I watched the last two episodes of the series I’ve closely followed since JC1. And I can care less about spoiling it for anyone who has yet to watch the finale ;P

Oh well, the series moved through twists and suspense, unpredictable outcomes, and the finale was really no different. The thing I like about PB is that each of its 4 seasons focuses on a different theme, leaving the audience with things fresh and new to expect. Perhaps, I like season 1 best, followed by 4, then 2 and then 3.

I’ll only talk about the last 2 episodes.

The second last episode started with Scofield in a dilemma; having been forced to choose between the two lives dearest to him; Sara Tancredi and Lincoln Burrows. Lincoln was shot in the lower right area of the chest cavity, leaving him with haemothorax that will eventually drain his life away within five minutes, whereas Sara’s a leverage of General Kranz, who will hand her over and leave her at the mercy of the sinister T-Bag.

As the writers would have it, Scofield managed to save them both, primarily because of the General’s treachery in holding up his end of the deal, however ironic that might seem. Therein, I guess lies a lesson we can learn for life ;p.

The deal was Scylla for Sara. Michael, being the genius that he is, anticipated that Kranz would never bring Sara to the trade, and hence chose to break in into the apartment where T-bag was holding Sara. As such, Scofield got both Sara and Scylla.

As for Lincoln, Scofiled sent Alexandre Mahone, someone not of the biological progeny of Christina, the psychotic mother of Scofield. Scofield reasoned that Christina would know his tactics, but not Mahone’s. Mahone brought an explosive disguised as Scylla to Christina.

Fast forward, and Kellerman showed up with a genuine UN offer; Scylla for absolute exoneration. Good deal. Scofield was hesitant, but handed over Scylla to Kellerman. He said he was exhausted of running, and wants all to end, by then we all know it will end since we are only left with 10 mins of the entire series.

So they all signed the exoneration papers, and voted for T-Bag to be sent bag to Fox River, where his pedophilic side quickly reappears. At the ending, we see the characters united with their loved one, and General Kranz now sat on the electric chair once sat by Lincoln in season 1, albeit with much less dignity and that much more cowardice. You should see how easily General Kranz capitulated to his adversaries’ demands once he lost all his leverage, and this gives us all the impression that as much as he loves to put people into difficult situations, he himself can’t fare better.

The show then fast forwarded 4 years, and the friends gathered to visit the grave of ….of….Michael Scofield…. While I find that this ending is a smart one, one that fits the entire essence of the series, about that which is full of twists and unpredictabilities, killing off the character Michael is like putting an abrupt end to the main character! He did so much across all 4 seasons, he deserved to have a longer ending! But anyway, he died of a tumour in grown in his brain, natural causes. Oh well, he died and the Company was burnt to the ground.

I loved this series, whatever the ending.

No comments: